Three minute blog

I don't know where the time went!

It seems as though "three minutes ago" I was happy about one portion of election results and distraught over others. I think my predictions of party politics invading the school board elections came true: a well-known R family is now represented on the BOE. Am disappointed that Cullen will no longer be on the BOE - she is one of the few members that openly challenged and the leadership and asks questions that show thinking out of the box. She was a good antidote to the reputation that the BOE is most concerned about gifted kids. Maybe other members are just as broadly-minded in their concern, but hers was palpable. Her loss is my loss.
Diego: apathetic about elections, but no fan of snow

I was much more distraught about a different win... but what can you do with opposition who has a winning grin and the right connections?

Then "two minutes ago" I was at work in Metuchen when the power went out (we kept working)... and I came home through the sleek snow - followed by another electricity-induced day off from school for N. At this rate they will be doing finals on Independence Day.

And then about a minute ago (i.e. this weekend) I drove from Bridgewater to Elmira, picked up my Dad's visitor from London (his best friends' daughter, Joanne). Joanne and I drove to Penn Yan where C was meeting her friend. Then we drove to Corning for dinner, then back to Elmira. On Saturday I drove Joanne and my sister and her sons to Ithaca and back to Elmira. Then early Sunday morning I drove from Elmira to Metuchen so I could teach my first knitting class. Then back to Bridgewater. Then to NYC to pick up C from the bus from her friend in Rochester. Then... home (except T drove from NYC when he realized I'd driven so much already - I drove in because I wanted to show him easy parking at Port Authority). Mapquest tells me that I drove 686 miles this weekend. No wonder I felt car sick on the ride home from NYC (an additional 40+ miles) - I went straight to bed.

The trip to Elmira was wonderful. I'd never met Joanne before and she was warm and positive. We talked about the big stuff: life, family, careers, politics, education, religion, travel... often intertwined. It was as though we knew each other our whole lives. Maybe I just love people who love my Dad... but maybe it is something more? She's a linguist and recently-retired "solicitor" in courts in London. Fluent in French. Well traveled. And nice.

Today is "Post-procrastination Monday". The kitchen: full of dirty dishes. The bedroom: full of laundry - dirty, clean or undetermined. And then - the to do list gets tackled.

At some point I have to figure out what I'm bringing for Thanksgiving at Martha Stewart's... One dish - Poppy's Eggplant is a sure winner. But I need another idea or two. Last year I brought Norwegian cheeses and delicacies. Hmmmm.... Enough procrastinating.

Also on the agenda: a good long run. I've been putting that off too! Happy Monday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm voting for Christine Chen for NJ Senate tomorrow

Mama L's Tootsie Hangover

Fool Me Once...