Martha and Me

Like most of America I side on the hate side of the love-hate relationship with Martha S. She makes millions of women around the country feel bad about themselves because she has set a bar far too high for normal folks. One year I actually blew out the yokes to paint eggs after watching Martha's show (she didn't teach me the technique - both my Mom and husband prefer that method). My friend MR thought I was crazy. She was right as it is much too much work for coloring eggs with kids.

It is important to remember that Ms. Martha's accomplishments don't happen in a vacuum. She has a sizable fortune (no comment necessary) and a large staff to help her do the leg work that you and I have to do ourselves. If Behind Every Successful Man -- there is a woman, then behind every episode or issue of Martha there is a staff of hundreds plus millions of dollars in advertising. Producers, technical folks, make-up crews, stylists, designers and chefs, painters, planners and who knows what else.

So last year when I got a free year's subscription to Martha, I actually only took it after reminding myself that she has a money and power, and I have neither. My message-to-self was: don't freak out if she makes the impossible seem within reach and all goes wrong.

And so far I have. I haven't made a single recipe in a single magazine - although I have her cookbook and I do use simplified recipes from it regularly. I haven't tried any of her design tips. I haven't cried a single tear because I can't form the perfect hand-made thank you card (and as many people know, thank you cards aren't my strong suit).

But this month's magazine was definitely a keeper. Why??? It seemed like almost every page was just for me! The first food I saw were persimmons - which remind me of my trip to Japan. Then there was a "breakfast for a bunch" with a beautiful parfait that I have the perfect dish for. There were tips on making extra room for guests - I've already done some of the tips, thank you very much! "Revisiting Radio City" - check! Got our tickets last spring. But the culmination of my (to incite her competitor) A-Ha moment proving the issue was a Poppet-issue was "warming trend". It gave an easy hand-knit headband pattern.... but guess what? I'm about 45 minutes away from finishing the one I started SATURDAY! And I like mine BETTER!

There was also a should-be-inspiring, but actually useless section for dreamers like me called "Follow Your Art". Anyone who knits knows there is no money in knitting of this kind, unless you want to make $2 per hour. And finally, there were ideas from Martha's own "collection" (ie a Macy's add)- which I can knit someday.

As with the rest of mass media, it's important to take "the best" and ignore the rest. Usually Martha's magazines end up in my recycling after spending 8 months in the powder room. This one will get stored with the holiday stuff for next year.

It's good to be inspired - in moderation. If I get even ONE of the issue's suggestions made, I'll be happy. The good thing about me is that even if I inspire others, no one is ever intimidated by me! Realistic expectations - and realistic results. 

Comments

Unknown said…
I'm a single moms of 2 and I find your site very interesting. I hope I have much time each day to drop by and check your site for recent post.

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm voting for Christine Chen for NJ Senate tomorrow

Mama L's Tootsie Hangover

Fool Me Once...