Nobody's Nerfect

It was a great morning. The sun was shining, and I promised that no matter what happened today I wouldn't let it spoil my especially good mood.

Keeping that promise at work was a challenge - luckily my colleague A has a seemingly unlimited supply of chocolate to lift spirits.

I worked nearly 2 hours late - and left in a frenzy. When I got home at 5pm, I had to rush to pick up my son and get him to his end of soccer party. After the challenges of being on this team I felt like it was especially important to be there. I left 5 minutes later than I should have, but I didn't think it would matter. I'm always 5 minutes late.

Well, I was wrong.

1st - It took me 45 minutes to drive to Chimney Rock Inn(a little over 5 miles from here). The traffic was awful. Think LA meets the Lincoln Tunnel.

2nd - I get to Chimney Rock and NO party!!! I was at the wrong place! I open my iPhone to recheck the e-mail, but it didn't download properly and only says the time! (a reminder of how late I am).

3rd - So I call various parents. Everyone who is at the party can't hear their phone (which makes me think the kids are having a blast - more guilt). Finally I get in touch with a parent. He confirms that they are actually having pizza in Somerville (I have to get back into traffic) and I have to admit that not only am I nearly an hour late, I have no idea where they are.

4th - We get there. The trophies have all been handed out. Coach D gives one to N. The moms are all looking at me like I am an idiot. None of these moms do this sort of thing! The Moms of this grade are in a class of their own - gorgeous hair, always on time, the kinds who have band-aids in their purses, and never have problems finding their kids' cleats and only yell at their kids appropriately.

But N had a slice of pizza with his friends and for the 10 minutes we were there he had a good time.

Maybe it is symbolic - N didn't play most of the games, but he still had a good time when he did.

Yesterday the first time in 12 years my candidate won. Even traffic woes can't take that away! Tomorrow will have more challenges, more traffic and more places for me to be late to. If I can channel some good mood energy from this morning, I can get through it all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm voting for Christine Chen for NJ Senate tomorrow

Mama L's Tootsie Hangover

Fool Me Once...