Insensitive?

Sometimes I can be "very thoughtful". Tonight I brought the rest of our dinner to ES. Turns out I wasn't the friend who brought food. When I checked Facebook, this blog entry about bereavement foods came up as some sort of ironic timing. Bringing food to the sick isn't exactly bereavement, but it's not exactly a celebration dinner either. I practically begged ES, DS and LS to call me when their daughter (LS) needs something - ANYTHING - and to call anytime - even when C isn't home or isn't available. They were worried about being rude or pushy yesterday (and ES didn't realize that we'd invited LS over today), but I insisted that they call from now on. Watching ES and her family struggle through these weeks has been beautiful and painful. So many friends with the same message: let me help you, let me love you.

But as I inevitably do, I then said the wrong thing. "Please, please call me. All I have is time. I'm home all the time!"

How insensitive of me to state the obvious- time is, of course, the one thing ES doesn't have. Her time with us is nearly up. She's got plenty of love. She's got TONS of friends, a beautiful daughter, a loving husband.  Family surround her and help her each day. They have a lovely house, cars, etc...

Cancer has robbed her of her body. And her time. She's almost out of it.



I know it's a break-up song and mostly irrelevant, but right now I feel it's about my big mouth. I can bring a nice meal... knowing what to say is a lot harder!

"I’m out of hope, I’m out of touch
I fell too fast, I feel too much
I thought that you might have
Some advice to give on how to be
Insensitive"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm voting for Christine Chen for NJ Senate tomorrow

Mama L's Tootsie Hangover

Fool Me Once...