My LIFE program...

People who follow this blog because they know me outside of cyberspace know that about 4 years ago I participated in (and won - me? win anything?!) something called the LIFE program at Somerville Martial Arts. It was hard work and I was thrilled to pry the $850 bucks out of the owner's hand at the end of my hard work. I don't know when I've been so proud of myself as that day. I only lost a total of about 16 pounds, but I gained so much knowledge and self confidence that I surely thought my life would be different forever.

Old habits creep up, and before I knew it, my favorite Thai place kept showing up on the Mastercard bill and my new clothes seemed to have shrunk in the wash. That first summer I was complimented at the beach for my hot bod' but the following summer you could see I was back to my less than athletic self.

I tried several other times to return to my former winning glory but I fizzled out almost every time. According to SMAA's evil scale I'm within 5 pounds of my original pre-LIFE weight and my BMI begins with the wrong digit!

I'm 40 now. It's now or never. The longer I wait, the harder it will be to make these changes. So I'm trying again. What's my goal? It's not to be a certain weight - although that is a good way to measure my accomplishments. My goal isn't to be super skinny. I'm just trying to be more healthy. I know the program works even though I'll be the first to admit that I don't always agree with the owner's "bedside manner" (what would you call the equivalent in a studio?).

The program works because you get out of it what you put into it.

This morning was day one. I can tell I worked hard based on my aching muscles. As I said, you get out of it what you put into it... so for once a pain in the ass* is a great sign!


*And, no I'm not referring to the owner, I'm referring to my derrière!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm voting for Christine Chen for NJ Senate tomorrow

Mama L's Tootsie Hangover

Fool Me Once...