Hypocrite Mom

http://artruch.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/dr-house.jpg


My Mom always said her least favorite thing in the world was a hypocrite. I've generally tried not to be one.

I am also trying to instill the same value in my kids. Just yesterday I pointed out how C did something on Friday that she complained another friend did earlier in the week that hurt C's feelings. "But..." the explanation started. So I explained to her what a hypocrite is.

This is Merriam-Webster's definition.
Main Entry: hyp·o·crite
Pronunciation: \ˈhi-pə-ˌkrit\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English ypocrite, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin hypocrita, from Greek hypokritēs actor, hypocrite, from hypokrinesthai
Date: 13th century
1 : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings
hypocrite adjective

The problem is sometimes everyone is a hypocrite! I'm no exception.

On the same day my daughter was being a classic example of definition number two, I was being number one (and after my lecture, number 2 as well). I seem to be the perfect wife this week. To my friends I may seem virtuous. In reality I'm doing a horrible job. The house looks like a bomb hit it. I nag the kids not to be lazy and to keep their rooms neat, but look at me glued to the laptop!

Then again I remember my Mom, and I can think of a number of things she did in her life that were classic definitions.  

House contends that everyone lies. I think everyone is a hypocrite sometimes. Not that lying and hypocrisy are OK... just common. What is the penance for being a hypocrite?  I guess cleaning my house, not yelling at or lecturing the kids, and not complaining that I have errands to do is a reasonably place to start.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm voting for Christine Chen for NJ Senate tomorrow

Mama L's Tootsie Hangover

Fool Me Once...