Women and assertion

I am a feminist. I believe that women are equal to men, but not the same as men. Although I chose to stay home for a while, I believe that women should be strong in the workforce, running governments and corporations and still able to manage a family.

I think that our gender has a long way to go in learning the tricks of the trade.

Here are 2 examples of my lack of skills in a so-called "man's world" in the last 24 hours:

1) I had a loose offer on a job yesterday. I told them I was very interested.

But I never asked what it pays! So now I have more or less committed to begin a new job next week without any idea of the compensation. I thought that if the interviewer doesn't bring up salary, neither should the applicant. So I went home ignorant and unsure.

2) We have a one-foot square hole in our living room ceiling and our shower has been leaking into the living room since May! I have been begging the plumber to come back all summer. Every week I call. Every week he blows me off. The times he has been here, he says he needs a part and never returns. One time he claimed he fixed it, left and a week later it started leaking into the living room again.

Can't I "grow a pair" before 3pm today when I have my second interview? When do I cut my losses with the repair job and just call another plumber? Why can't I berate him into coming they way I do my kids? I am not afraid of some conflict!

Maybe I need to call my successful business girlfriends. Advice, please!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm voting for Christine Chen for NJ Senate tomorrow

Mama L's Tootsie Hangover

Fool Me Once...