The not so sick, sick kid

My mother had a strict rule - in order to stay home from school, you had to have a fever or had to have thrown up. "I don't feel well" didn't cut it. I remember going to school with many a sniffle.

N was what I would call "borderline sick" yesterday. I kept him home. No fever, but sunken eyes, very pale and just not himself.

So far my kids haven't abused this, faking illnesses to stay home. Mrs. Nurse called me last year saying C had a headache. It was the first time in 5 years she had complained of a headache, so I picked her up. C came home and slept for several hours. Clearly she had a headache.

On Sunday (I'm writing this Tuesday morning) N was complaining that he didn't feel well, but we let him go to his best friend's birthday dinner. He didn't have a fever. When the dinner went late he asked if he was going home soon, a 1st. I kept him home from school yesterday when he still seemed sick. He went to my workout place, still no fever, so with DS and PSP in hand he entertained himself for 1.5 hours. Then we hit Wegmans picking out dinner, still in good spirits, and home. We read together under the covers as if he were really sick. I took him to taekwondo that night. Normally they don't go if they are sick, of course, but he had seemed pretty much fine most of the day. Half way through a particularly grueling class he needed a break. The teacher told a different kid "if you're sick, don't come!"

After this experience I am more confused than ever about the gray-area days. He's fine, he's not fine.

I sent him to school today, but am keeping the the cell phone close by. Am guessing that Mrs. Nurse may be trying to get in touch. One of my favorite things about this nurse (and the list is long) is that when she calls, I know it is because my kid is sick. Too bad she wasn't here yesterday to help me to judge. I can almost hear my mother's "I told you so"...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm voting for Christine Chen for NJ Senate tomorrow

Mama L's Tootsie Hangover

Fool Me Once...