Spending time at the kids' schools

I want to plug volunteering at the kids' schools.
I was at N's school the entire day and I learned a lot of things:
  • Even kindergartners know what they want - and don't want - and they articulate it clearly!
  • Teachers are part parent, part sergeant, part diplomat, part friend
  • Always stay on the good side of the janitorial and the administrative staff (we're lucky to have ours)
  • You never know what you'll find happening in the nurse's office
  • Don't go back for your purse in a fire drill
  • STAY AWAY FROM THE EXIT AT RECESS OR AT THE END OF THE DAY, IT'S VERY LOUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
  • Large fundraisers take a LOT of people to run, more than you would expect. The majority of parents don't offer to help (less than 10% of households are volunteering at this event, even though we need people in the evening, too), and those who do usually help more than once.
It was a very rewarding day. Much more personally rewarding than my last job, and certainly more rewarding than if I had stayed home and cleaned the house. I am already looking forward to helping on Tuesday.... but first I need to get my hearing tested. Dismissal was louder than a rock concert! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm voting for Christine Chen for NJ Senate tomorrow

Mama L's Tootsie Hangover

Fool Me Once...