Type specific ADD?

This weekend I got sucked in... to Ravelry.com! It's a site for knitters and crocheters to share patterns, information and pictures. I think that if I spent as much time on actually knitting as I did on the site, I would have knit an entire sweater!

Who knew there was a single site that I could waste more time on than Facebook? One of my friends said she has recently become addicted to Twitter. If she can, than I can, so I'm staying off tweeting for now.

I realized that for me half the fun of knitting comes in the planning and starting phases. A long time ago I did the Myers-Briggs personality test and I think I ended up with ENFP (don't quote me, I think Clinton was still in office). But that fits - bright ideas, gets bored easily, dislikes structure and has a problem finishing things. That's exactly how I seem to knit! 


But do I have an actual deviant form of ADD specifically for knitting? (Whether or not I have real ADD may or may not be the subject of another blog). I would hardly call it ADHD - how can you be hyperactive when you're sedentary?

I am about half way done on a big sweater project for my husband. I began it in August 2009, it was nearly finished and I ripped up several inches this June - I'm not quite back where I was. It is a heavy project - and not conducive to knitting in the sun or heat. I know this sounds like a lame excuse but it is true. In the summer's heat I want one skein (ball) of yarn and I don't want five pounds of sweater on my lap. I also have one arm done, but the wrist is too tight, so I think I will have to start over!!!!


The body 75% done. Still need to knit one arm and put the entire thing together.

On top of that I knit two baby hats this past week - both of which need final touches. The second hat is identical to this one, but in blue, beige and brown for a baby boy. One of them I'm planning to sell to a friend. What would you pay for a hand-knit hat? The other I will either sell to a FB friend or donate.

I need to sew in the extra yarn - hidden in the picture
Then yesterday I began a Christmas stocking with another design that I need to follow a complicated pattern in order to finish. It is with yarn I bought this summer at a Monastery that my Uncle designed. I keep thinking that the project has to be for a good cause, and it definitely had to be with a somewhat religious theme. I am sure that a true catholic doesn't think a Christmas stocking counts, but I do.

Probably Christmas 2011 is more realistic for this work of art to-be

Last week I started a scarf for either my father-in-law or T's grandmother. Thinking I'd get a jump start on Christmas gifts. I knit this while watching N and his buddy at the pool. I would have thought it would have been done by now, but it's not. This project is very visceral. The yarn is cashmere and creamy to the touch. 

A gift for the person who has everything. A snugly scarf.

Then yesterday I remembered that I had promised to knit a baby blanket to donate to a church that gives them to every newly baptized baby. I LOVE THIS IDEA! But with 5 projects on my needles - not to mention a scarf I started YEARS ago for my daughter's friend, and a sweater I started in 1991 that patiently waits to be picked up again - am I doing more than I should be doing at one time? Plus I recently found a Courier blog that focuses on knitting. It's author, Pam also has a contest for knitted donations. I really want to enter something.... but what??? Perhaps the pink hat? Hmm.....the wheels are turning!

Do you ever feel overwhelmed by your own creative impulses?

I need to get back into the school year. While N and C practice their jumps (at cheer or tae kwon do), or the BOE tries to convince me that putting money back into sports instead of the classroom is really a good thing (fodder for another blog), I'll be knitting and knitting and knitting. Lucky me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm voting for Christine Chen for NJ Senate tomorrow

Mama L's Tootsie Hangover

Fool Me Once...