A blog in 2 acts:

Act I: It's official & public - BRRSD had low elementary NJASK Language Arts Scores

The NJ Report cards are out.I'm not a statistician but I am less than impressed with my kids' school's results. Less than 2% had achieved advanced scores in Language Arts for the 2008 NJASK testing. Click here to find your NJ school.

In September 2007 the principal opened his Back to School Night talk promising parents a focus on Language Arts. Clearly this either didn't happen or didn't help. He's gone but most of the teaching staff isn't. What is being done to prevent these scores from toppling further? While I was very pleased with C's teacher last year, C didn't get the "Advanced" score in LAL on the NJASK test either. She loves to read and writes for pleasure, she always did any enrichment opportunity offered in LAL last year and still didn't make the results. My father even spent time going over grammar with her. I understand that they shouldn't teach to the test, but I am frustrated by the school's scores in general and hers specifically. This year I bought practice books for both kids - if the NJ ASK is supposed to be a reflection of the school, am I doing the school a disservice? (For out of state readers NJASK are tests brought on by the No Child Left Behind policies).

Act II: How Nosy Are YOU???

So for those nosy readers... This was on the front page of online version of the Courier today.

It's like a car crash. You can't help but look!!!!

Click here and you can find out what teachers and administrators in NJ make. While I am one of the few people who WANTS teachers to make strong salaries, I also noticed something: very few teachers at my kids' school have gone for their masters, even compared to other BW schools. Those who have an MA earn quite a bit more money than their counterparts.

OK. I know you don't want to read any more of my blog today - you want to go and see what Ms. SoAndSo made last year ....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm voting for Christine Chen for NJ Senate tomorrow

Mama L's Tootsie Hangover

Fool Me Once...