Snips and snails and puppy dogs' tails...

Am a little tired today as I spent most of the night at the hospital. Our puppy - who we've only had about 3 weeks - bit (nipped?) my son's ear while they were playing way past the bedtime of both the dog and the boy. It looked pretty bad, and I was pretty scared by the whole bite thing. It reminded me of when my parents' dog bit me when I was in college and I, too, had a midnight trip to the ER on some Saturday night. I survived - with a little scar just off my chin after a few stitches and a tetanus booster.

The ER was very full - in fact the pediatric area was standing room only. N sat on my lap while I read to him. After a while he perked up and played on a game cube with another not-sick sick kid. (I think he had been for an earlier asthma attack). I watched my past: first time parents with feverish children who won't drink, parents of kids with ear/throat infections (I heard the doctor say to one parent that she could see an infection in both the ear AND the throat), a child who screamed for hours but seemed happy as a clam muddling about the waiting area. Luckily nothing looked life threatening.) Still it was deja vu, indeed!

N was VERY lucky. No stitches, no shots. They did have to call the Bridgewater Police to report the bite (my 3 month old dog now has a rap sheet!). Apparently I am a negligent parent - but you knew that already - because it never occurred to me that Puppy needs a license. Isn't his micro chip enough? Penicillin twice a day for 10 days. It's the yucky liquid and N is not very happy.

Originally T had said that we need to get rid of the dog. I think that since his training starts tomorrow, we should give him another try. It's ironic. When my parents' dog bit me 20 years ago I threw a fit because my parents insisted on keeping their dog. Now, in this role reversal I am thinking that maybe it isn't that easy to give up your pet, even when it nips your child...

But I'd give up Pup in a millisecond if N wanted me to after last night. He got to pick any toy he wanted at ToysRUs today for his bravery. He chose a few packs of pokemon cards (and insisted on getting a pack for BFF T too). I told him it would be the right time to ask Mom for a car - so I think I got off easy!

N is playing with T now - and I think I need a mid-afternoon hot bath.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm voting for Christine Chen for NJ Senate tomorrow

Mama L's Tootsie Hangover

Fool Me Once...