Stupid parents!

At least once a day someone says or does something I don't like. About once a week it is so upsetting that I imagine saying what I think about this person to them - I even carry on the rest of the conversation in my head. About once a month someone says or does something that makes me want to cry or hit them.

I manage to refrain (usually from the tears, always from the hitting)
because that is what sane people do.

I read this article today about a Bridgewater-boneheaded coach (presumably a parent of a 5th or 6th grader) who did NOT take that breath, count to five or even just call someone a bad name as the rest of us would.

I get overzealous at a soccer game from time to time. I've even offered to get ice cream for the whole soccer team if they win. Last month a judge told me not to coach my kids from the sidelines when she was sparring at a karate tournament. And I am sure that people were shocked when I asked a couple of challenging (but appropriate, if you ask me) questions of the Superintendent when he visited our school to sell the budget.

And while there are lots of people I would LOVE to bop in the nose, I cannot imagine doing it.

I never have thought of myself as someone with great restraint, but now I see that in Bridgewater the bar is low. If a parent thought hitting another parent at a basketball game for a lame comment was within reason - then I am good as gold for my "negative thoughts".

Now every time someone googles this bonehead - say, a prospective employer, or even a nosy neighbor - a report in the Courier of an assault charge will come up.

REMEMBER FOLKS, Kids on a field or in a tournament are KIDS. Words are fine, violence isn't.

Remember parents: if you have even less patience than I do, coaching isn't for you!

Remember kids: usually you have to take parents' behavior and words with a grain of salt. Clearly the kids on this team have to learn to "do as I say and not as I do" when it comes to their coach, or we're in trouble as a town!

Remember parents: there is always someone with even worse judgment and less self-control than you!!

I'm so glad that my 5th grader doesn't play basketball... but she sure wishes she'd seen that fight!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm voting for Christine Chen for NJ Senate tomorrow

Mama L's Tootsie Hangover

Fool Me Once...