Twinkle, twinkle, little star

Several years ago my Dad bought C a telescope for Christmas. She was totally disinterested.

Tonight when she let the dog out, she returned saying she had discovered a star.

I found the telescope in the basement among forgotten Teletubby dolls, rated-G movies and a case of barbies.

We looked at the Big Dipper (if I'm right), Orion's Belt and the Pleiades (again, I think, but who knows if I'm right?). We focused on the blue-ish star from the Big Dipper. She was really excited and came in crying "Daddy, Daddy, it wasn't a new star I discovered but part of the Big Dipper." She said that although she's been to planetariums a lot, and people have pointed out things in the sky before, it was the first time she actually saw a constellation.

I have always loved looking at the stars and when I was her age I wanted to be an astronaut. I used to look at the stars with my Dad. I remember looking at Halley's Comet in the back yard.

She has had that telescope for several years now and never once used it (the Christmas she opened it, I think she went out for 30 seconds, while my Dad and I enjoying it one cold, starry night).

I am so happy that she enjoyed our little encounter.

Hopefully it is only the beginning of a lifelong hobby.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm voting for Christine Chen for NJ Senate tomorrow

Mama L's Tootsie Hangover

Fool Me Once...