Are we there yet?

Put a fork in me, 'cause I'm done!

I am quite sure my sister-Moms are with me (that sounds so "Big Love")! It is time for the cherubs to return to their rightful place behind a desk at our local public school, where I hope they forget the Facebook/Textation spelling that they practiced faithfully all summer!

I love my kids, but I am sick of fighting over who took the dog out last, or about removing wet towels from the floor. I'm sick of every time someone enters the room it is only to ask me for something: Can XYZ come over? Can I sleep over at X's house? Can we go to  ToysRU? Will you take me and 3 friends to the mall, the pool or the movie? "Can I...?" is not how I wish to begin every conversation with my kids, and lately that's the way it's been!

I wish that my son would spend the majority of his time without a television or a video game.

It was a great summer. I can't count how many times I needed a bathing suit and towel, or how many hours we spent with friends doing fun things (often requiring said suits).
Two of our 2010 guests living it up Down the Shore

Off the top of my head these are a few of the summer's activities (in no particular order):
  • Tubing down the Delaware
  • Riding the Ferris Wheel at Toys are Us
  • Visiting Lavalette beach
  • Shopping for goodies in Chinatown
  • Dorney Park (waterpark)
  • Weekend in Providence, RI (just Tore and me)
  • 2 weeks with grandparents - water skiing, playing at the beach and so much more
  • Wine tasting with my Dad
  • Philly overnight
  • Museum of the Earth, Ithaca NY
  • Both kids had at least 20 sleep-overs (maybe if we count actual kids the number may be closer to 50)
  • Parties at the pool
  • 4 day trips to Seven Presidents (Long Branch)
  • Volleyball at Duke Island Park
  • Taking the dog to eat Ice Cream in Somerville!!!
  • YMCA camp in the Finger Lakes (C only)
How many meals did we share with people we care about? Countless! And the summer is going out with a bang... the nasty Mom, that mean Mom who always yells, but always says yes in the end, did so again. C is going to fly BY HERSELF to Florida and back for the weekend.

While I can't wait for the new school year to start, I  know I am anxious about the new schools they are attending. I was reminded today that middle school girls are ungodly rude - some more than others. C seems confident enough to handle the bitchiest of girls. So why worry? N is in a class with his very best friend. No matter what he won't be alone.

I shouldn't throw away the last week of summer! I know soon enough I will be living my life around a 5:30am alarm clock and will wonder where the summer went. Today I will continue our Carpe Diem lifestyle by spending another day at the beach, hoping that the impending hurricane doesn't cause rip-tides and put the kabash on our plans.

How are you spending your last days of summer?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm voting for Christine Chen for NJ Senate tomorrow

Mama L's Tootsie Hangover

Fool Me Once...