More than mother's day...

Today was Mother's Day. I am not sure my family noticed because today focused on celebrating my Dad. It's his 85th birthday.

While it would have been nice to get a little recognition, I am a firm believer in it's better to give than to receive. Since I got very little and I spent the day giving, it worked out. I played hostess to my Dad, his best friend from college's daughter, my sister and her kids (plus my own family). In many ways it was just another day - complete with a Wegmans run, much ado in the kitchen and a soccer game.

But I'm glad to have spent the day celebrating him. I honor him. He's a wonderful person with a beautiful disposition and brings happiness to everyone around him. I am so grateful that he is an integral part of my life. I've been fortunate to have such a smart and compassionate person as my role model for all these years.

I remember a few times in my childhood when Mother's Day coincided with his birthday. My Mom didn't always like sharing her day. While it would have been nice to have had a little fuss made about me, I am happy that I got to spend the day thinking of others, especially Dad. Actually when we celebrated his 80th birthday we also had a brunch for him on Mother's day as well.

Among the only gifts I got today (N gave me plants that I gave him money to buy at school on Thursday, C gave me a rose from her soccer team, basta) wasn't from my children, but a picture my friend posted on Facebook. It was taken 9 years ago, just a week or two before my mother died. We are all smiling.

My Dad's favorite gift was the picture that his friend brought from London. It's a nice coincidence. It's of him and my mother. They are very happy with one of those smiles that convey a special moment.

Thanks Dad for being a wonderful Daddy! You have brought so much richness to my life. I hope that as a Mom I'm bringing equal riches to my children. But how could I? You broke the mold!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm voting for Christine Chen for NJ Senate tomorrow

Mama L's Tootsie Hangover

Fool Me Once...