Definitely NOT a G-rated movie...

This weekend I took my friend's advice and watched Little Children. My friend had my attention when she said it had some of the best scenes she'd seen in a film (interpret that as you will...) but she said that I would relate to it as a suburban mom.

I have been thinking about the film for several days.

I just thought about it again now, when I saw a group picture of Moms from my son's grade. The photo was taken at a party that I wasn't invited to, although I know all of the people in the picture. This particular group of Moms often make me feel alienated and I feel like the judge me. Some of them I would call "competitive parents". Who can be the most overprotective? As I saw the snapshot, I remembered a scene from Little Children. Watch starting from about minute 2:05 through about 5:30.

That is how I feel sometimes. As if I sit on a bench several feet away from them, being judged as a bad mom for something as innocuous as forgetting snack. In fact, snack is a perfect example because I forgot to send my kids with snack almost as often as they bring it. I even sent Miss Teacher a Wegmans gift card after N said she shares snack with him every day... along with a mea culpa note.

I could write several pages about this movie (about suburban hypocrisy, longing to be recognized by your spouse, bad judgment - and not the extra-marital relationship with a hot stay-at-home Dad) but we'll leave it at that particular scene.

In my daughter's grade I think I'm can take a seat at the popular Mom's bench. But with my son's grade I'm definitely not a-list. Judgment runs strong with this clique. I just need to muster the self-confidence not to care, much as the protagonist does.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm voting for Christine Chen for NJ Senate tomorrow

Mama L's Tootsie Hangover

Fool Me Once...