Summer's almost here

N's teacher wrote today "13 days left" on her Facebook status today. That means summer is here. I spent the morning enjoying the perfect weather for a lovely walk. My friend and I talked about the summer. Planning summer getaways is one of my favorite past times, even if it doesn't always work out as planned. I really enjoy this on June 1st with the entire summer right before my eyes. It should be an easy drive (preferably less than 5 hours). This evening I spent time with another friend discussing summer camps.

The New York Times Travel Section had an article "One Summer, 14 weekend getaways"

Here's my weekend getaway wish list for summer 2009...

Weekend 1 -June 20th - NYC. We have friends who will be in the city that weekend from Europe. Count on all the things foreigners want to see, plus shopping, plus my kids' fav, Mars 2112 for at least one meal. We'll also do Chinatown, Times Square and other typical tourist destinations. Oh, NYC

Weekend 2 - June 27th The shore - Beach or Bust!

Weekend 3 - July 4th The Finger Lakes. Nothing like my favorite cheap retreat. Wineries, beaches, good food, slow pace... It's not summer without a night at my favorite drive-in.



Weekend 4 July 11th Hershey Park


Weekends 5-7 - boating, swimming, water skiing...


Weekend 8 - Toronto. I've been dying to go.....

Weekend 9 - Boston. I've been dreaming about visiting friends who live on the MA/NH border. Maybe this is the summer???

Weekend 10 - Jersey shore - once isn't enough and by the end of August, maybe weekend traffic will be better???

Weekend 11 - Philly. There's always something to see and parking is cheaper than NYC.

Other options include: Dorney Park, Camden Aquarium, Outdoor concerts at Central Park.

Labor Day weekend???? Last year the girlfriends from high school descended upon our house for a weekend of wine and good times. They are threatening to come again in 2009... so we'll keep it open. Otherwise I can think of a lot of other places I'm ready to head to. Maybe we'll extend down to Delaware? Who knows!

Who knows what the future holds. But this dream summer sounds like a good one, right??? There's plenty going on right here in Somerset County. Long walks at the Sourland Mountain preserve, summer evenings in downtown Somerville, long evening walks with my neighbors.

Note to self: don't overbook. The kids want to sleep late and lie around the house, so do I. I have to keep that in mind when making all these elaborate plans!

The summer is full of possibilities.

Because before you know it, we'll be getting ready for....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I'm voting for Christine Chen for NJ Senate tomorrow

Mama L's Tootsie Hangover

Fool Me Once...